Forums » General Forum

options and self funding/producing

• April 10, 2009 4:53 AM PDT

Hi

I have a producer who has given me an options agreement and Ive amended it but the reason I havent sent it to him is because im trying to raise the funding myself as ive gotten into contact with an actor who may attract bigger funds to it.

my question is this:

the option is for 1 year, so im wondering, should I just get him to agree to my amendments and wait it out while i try to find the funding myself? i read somewhere that just because ive optioned it to him it doesnt stop me from getting other producers involved.

the personal finance plan is that basically thanks to the actor ive gotten involved i may have a chance of raising personal finance but at the very worst i have a bigger opportunity to go to other producers because he is a NAME.

so ...shall i go with both ways? cos at the end of the day, they'll both take ages so should i give the project the best chance possible?

pros and cons = the producer obviously wants a bigger cut for getting the money but he also runs a small advertising company so could help with promotion....whereas if i go myself, id hire a producer who would have to help me with the nuts and bolts but unless i could find one who has experience in marketing id have to do all that myself..which ive researched myself  ie marketing the film before its even started filming via a website and building up following via groups....but you know...ITS A LOT OF WORK!

so any intelligent suggestions?

thanks