Forums » Cinematography

Is iPhone's new Cinematic Mode a good low budget option?

• 27 posts
    March 14, 2022 6:24 AM PDT

The evolution of smartphones has made it accessible to everyone to create films on their smartphone. In the past years, iPhone has a new feature called "cinematic mode". I was watching a comparation on YouTube of this new feature:

What do you think, is this new feature a good low budget option to shoot movies? I say it looks pretty good to me.

• 397 posts
    March 14, 2022 6:26 AM PDT

It depends what you are going for. I believe that smartphones are very good for students who are learning because they can practice using a gimbal and a light weigth camera and be creative - study the best angles to shoot their movies from. It is also very useful to shoot short films that can be posted on social media. The quality allows you to make good Youtube videos, too.
    If you want to shoot Netflix movies, a smartphone will not be enough, but if you want to create a portfolio, it's a good start.

• 56 posts
    March 14, 2022 6:28 AM PDT

A few years ago, students used handycams to learn how to shoot their first movies. Now they use a smartphone. There is a huge difference in what they can create these days compared to 10 years ago. I wonder what the next 10 years in technological advancement will bring us.

• 27 posts
    March 14, 2022 6:29 AM PDT
    Fjolla Teuta said:

A few years ago, students used handycams to learn how to shoot their first movies. Now they use a smartphone. There is a huge difference in what they can create these days compared to 10 years ago. I wonder what the next 10 years in technological advancement will bring us.

Oh, I totally forgot about this part. Good point!

• 19 posts
    August 5, 2022 3:09 AM PDT

I don't know how to answer to this question because I have never tried it before. However, I have seen many videos made by others who used the cinematic mode and posted a version with & without this feature. Based on this, I believe it is a great feature and that it is becomming easier for those with little to no experience to create movies.