Forums » Lighting

“Lighting for Film: Keep It Simple” by Michael Corbett

• 397 posts
    March 15, 2022 2:10 AM PDT

To improve your tennis game, play with better tennis players. I am not sure where I first heard this, but it was one of the most important things I’ve learned about improving “my game” as a director of photography. For me, the better tennis players are directors of photography I have had the opportunity to work with: Oliver Wood; Andrew Laszlo, ASC; Tony Richmond, ASC; Victor Kemper, ASC; Nick Allen-Wolf; Fred Goodich, ASC; Henry Lynk; Scott Mumford; Flip Minott; and many others. By working on set with them, I have been exposed to a vast resource of experience, technical ability and creative genius.

Oliver Wood told me that every day on set he tries something that he has never done before. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. Tony Richmond, ASC drove home the notion that good lighting is all about taking light out of the scene. We are not really lighting the set but casting shadows. He taught me how to use hard light.

Read the full article here:

https://www.studentfilmmakers.com/lighting-for-film-keep-it-simple/

• 57 posts
    March 15, 2022 2:20 AM PDT

Her advices are very useful. I also use the sun as my backlight, when the sun is not too strong to burn my images \ud83d\ude42

• 19 posts
    August 5, 2022 3:10 AM PDT

She advised to make the Sun your backlight. I could do that. 

• 26 posts
    January 17, 2023 3:30 AM PST
    Colton Stevens said:

She advised to make the Sun your backlight. I could do that. 

The Sun is a powerful lighting tool that we can use for free. It is a low-budget alternative to expensive lights.