Forums » Camera Forums

The struggle of building a cage for my Blackmagic

• 5 posts
    January 19, 2023 2:02 AM PST

Building a cage for my Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6k Pro has been a struggle. The cage itself is not necessarily hard to build, but comes with quite a few challenges.

Finding all the components of the cage is time-consuming. I live in Romania, and very few companies sell these components in my country. Ordering them from global websites would take at least one month for the parts to get here. 

I will film an event in February and I need the cage to be ready on time, therefore I started looking for components at the beginning of this month. Most of the parts have arrived and it took me a few hours to set up the cage. However, the handle was faulty and I need to send it back to warranty. Now, the complication is that the company I purchased it from needs to contact a company from another continent, which has all its employees on holiday until 28’th January and I might not get a working handle in time. I think I will need to film using the faulty handle which will be extremely difficult. 

Another challenge was that the extended battery that I ordered needed a separate charger that costs as much as the battery itself. No one mentioned everywhere that the battery does not come with a charger and it took me a while until I learned this.

There are still a few accessories that need to arrive in the following week and I am excited to have everything set up.

The good news is that, with some dedication and patience, it is possible to make a good cage for this camera. With a little bit of research and practice, I was able to build a sturdy, secure cage that will keep my camera safe while filming for hours. I can also attach all the accessories – battery, lights, SSD for my camera on this cage.