Forums » General Forum

Writers Guild of America Strike

• 39 posts
    November 8, 2007 9:30 PM PST
    What do you think about the statements below? Do you know someone that is being affected?

"Writers Guild of America and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers were called by a federal mediator. The producers said a deal couldn't be reached.

The writers want more money from the sale of DVDs and a share of revenue generated by the sale of TV shows and films over the Internet. The studios say the demands are unreasonable and will hamper attempts to experiment with new media."
  • December 19, 2007 8:57 AM PST
    I think that the writers do deserve some more recognition, and pay if that is what they want.People really should realise that much of the genius behind most, if not all of their favorite shows does not come from the actors and actresses, but the writers.

I know many people who are getting mad about their favorite tv shows being all re-runs lately, and eventhough I am not effected so much because I don't watch tv all that often, it's kinda depressing that the higher up's in this field could not have avoided this disaster.

It's kinda sad how much the American Lifestyle has been effected by this little strike.

tootles

Stacy

• January 17, 2008 5:41 PM PST
    The writers "shot themselves in the foot." By allowing personality driven shows to go back on with hosts, but without the aid of the writers, the writers essentially gave up their most powerful "bargaining chip." Movies, and the scripted show have less to worry about, more lead time in terms that production requires. America doesn't care who says what, as long as someone says something. And corporations in America will continue to turn profits, on both the "demon-box" and the "abomination that causes desolation." Now, I'm no neo-conservative doomsday propheteer, however Europe isn't having this problem and Asia's networks don't seem to be having this problem; in the least we're not hearing anything about it from our television news broadcasts (busy with the primaries, I would venture to guess, and the first cloned embryo?)
    No, what we have here is the slow-bleed, and what I mean by that is by the time both parties come back to this "table" to negotiate, the writers will have been severely hindered by worsening economic conditions in the vein of not being able to pay their mortgages, not being able to feed their kids, and maybe the flu...
    What I'm saying is the advantage, at least from my perspective, has gone to the AMPTP. What I'm also saying is that the writers will have to come back to the table, their "tail's between their legs, because they can't afford not to, that's all. Then again, I hope I'm wrong.