Forums » General Forum

What motivates you to keep going?

• 57 posts
    May 12, 2022 3:37 AM PDT

I believe many of you have gone through the following process: you are passionate about something (let’s say video editing, screenwriting or even photography). You start looking for resources online to learn more about your new passion. You research the skills you need to develop and the gear that you will need. A video editor needs an expensive video card, that means a good PC. He will also need video editing software, which also costs money. A photographer will need a camera, lens, tripod etc.
    Then, a journey begins: you start saving money to buy what you need to start. You finally start doing what you love and you start earning your first dollars from it.

But then, something happens: you start losing motivation.

The process of losing motivation happens in two scenarios: you either fight too hard to make a living for your dream that you give up or you work too hard for your dream that you lose creativity and motivation.

In the first scenario, time goes by and you still cannot seem to make it. You tried everything and it just doesn’t work. You age and you want to settle down and have a family. In the end, you just give up.

In the second scenario, you manage to make a living from your passion. But it is so tiring and time consuming that you are left with little time for yourself. And even if you are left with a lot of time for yourself, you just get tired of doing the same thing over and over again. You just lose motivation over time.

My question is…what do you do to keep going? What do you do to keep that motivation from day 1, even after 7 years? Or 20 years?

• 82 posts
    May 12, 2022 11:53 AM PDT

Remember why you started. Try to recall those memories from the first days. Remember how hard you worked to get to where you are, how many little steps you made on the way. Think of happy moments, when you felt really happy you are doing this. Think of how happy you were each time you learned something new. And if you don't get to make it as a job, do it anyway. Do it because you like it. Sometimes you don't need any other reason. Life is short anyway. At least do something that you love right? Fame and money are not everything.

• 43 posts
    May 12, 2022 11:56 AM PDT

I think that if I stop, I will regret it in 10 years from now. I think that if I stop now, everything I did until this point was pointless. I think that if I stop now, the world won't change but my world will. Maybe I will not find a job and do it for money. In that case, I will do it for fun and for free with other people just like me. Maybe I will join a local community that does charity and use my skills for the greater good. Or maybe I can teach kids some stuff I learned. But I do hope I will get to have a good job and do what I love.

• 57 posts
    May 13, 2022 2:02 AM PDT
    Anong Lawan said:

Remember why you started. Try to recall those memories from the first days. Remember how hard you worked to get to where you are, how many little steps you made on the way. Think of happy moments, when you felt really happy you are doing this. Think of how happy you were each time you learned something new. And if you don't get to make it as a job, do it anyway. Do it because you like it. Sometimes you don't need any other reason. Life is short anyway. At least do something that you love right? Fame and money are not everything.

Thank you for reminding me this! I needed to hear this!

• 57 posts
    May 13, 2022 2:03 AM PDT
    Marianna Schmidt said:

I think that if I stop, I will regret it in 10 years from now. I think that if I stop now, everything I did until this point was pointless. I think that if I stop now, the world won't change but my world will. Maybe I will not find a job and do it for money. In that case, I will do it for fun and for free with other people just like me. Maybe I will join a local community that does charity and use my skills for the greater good. Or maybe I can teach kids some stuff I learned. But I do hope I will get to have a good job and do what I love.

You do have a point. Good luck!

• 82 posts
    May 13, 2022 2:09 AM PDT
    Istvan Kovacs said:
    Anong Lawan said:

Thank you for reminding me this! I needed to hear this!

Happy to help!