Forums » Producing

A few tips to ensure the safety on the set

• 397 posts
    May 14, 2022 11:51 AM PDT

You are just starting your career as a filmmaker and you are probably very excited. However, before you start shooting videos, you need to make sure you ensure the safety on set for all those involved in your new project.

1. Conduct a Risk Assessment before you begin filming

There are many online materials that can guide you on how to properly conduct a risk assessment. You will need to identify potential hazards within the location that you have chosen. If you can, ask for the advice of a more experienced friend or colleague.

2. Hire a Safety Supervisor

If your budget allows it, hire a Safety Supervisor to help you ensure the safety on the set. The amount of experience that a Safety Supervisor has can help you ensure that everyone will be safe during the filming.

3. The Weather

You need to consider the weather that your crew will have to work in. For example, during a hot summer day, you will need to ensure that everyone is well hydrated and they are protected from sunburn and heatstroke. You will need to provide many bottles of sunscreen and water. Each weather condition has different requirements.

What do you think are the most common hazards and how do you proceed to ensure that everyone’s safety is ensured on the set?

• 82 posts
    May 16, 2022 3:21 AM PDT

I don't know how summer is in some countries but where I am from, it can be extremely dangerous to be outside during some hours because you can get sunburns and heat-stroke. You should avoid filming at those hours. And if you go outside, you need a hat and a lot of water. If possible, avoid standing in direct sunlight. In my country we also have the monsoon season when it rains a lot for hours, which again, might be very dangerous to shoot movies outdoors. That's somewhere from July and it can last until September or even October. Weather is an important factor to consider if you want to avoid getting in difficult times.

• 10 posts
    May 16, 2022 3:29 AM PDT
    Anong Lawan said:

I don't know how summer is in some countries but where I am from, it can be extremely dangerous to be outside during some hours because you can get sunburns and heat-stroke. You should avoid filming at those hours. And if you go outside, you need a hat and a lot of water. If possible, avoid standing in direct sunlight. In my country we also have the monsoon season when it rains a lot for hours, which again, might be very dangerous to shoot movies outdoors. That's somewhere from July and it can last until September or even October. Weather is an important factor to consider if you want to avoid getting in difficult times.

Oh dear! It must be very difficult to film outside during the monsoon season. 

• 82 posts
    May 16, 2022 3:32 AM PDT
    Olivia Perez said:
    Anong Lawan said:

Yes, it is. Fortunatelly, you can do many movies inside as well! But it is not so low budget as filming outside. Plus, there are many wonderful places you can film in and you cannot do it anytime you want. Planning ahead is important and you do need to make your homework before heading out to film to a place you are not familliar with. Locals are usually familliar with the weather.

• 10 posts
    May 16, 2022 3:33 AM PDT
    Anong Lawan said:
    Olivia Perez said:
    Anong Lawan said:

Yes, it is. Fortunatelly, you can do many movies inside as well! But it is not so low budget as filming outside. Plus, there are many wonderful places you can film in and you cannot do it anytime you want. Planning ahead is important and you do need to make your homework before heading out to film to a place you are not familliar with. Locals are usually familliar with the weather.

Yes, it's lovely when you can work with a crew made of locals.