Forums » Career & Internships

What is your "To Do List" when going to an interview?

• 397 posts
    June 13, 2022 5:03 AM PDT

You have just started applying for internships and jobs and you managed to schedule your first interview. This can become an important step in your future career and you need to be prepared. 

I have put together a "To Do List" to help you prepare for this big opportunity:

1. Do your own research about the company and industry 

It is important to know a few details about the company and the industry before going to the interview. This can help you during the interview. Do a little research about the company's position on the market, its competitive advantages and its competitors.

2. Do your own research about the job opening that you have apply for

After you have a bit of knowledge about the company you are applying for, you should do your own research regarding the job opening that you have applied for. What is the company looking for in a candidate? What qualities does it need to have? Even if you don't fit to all of their requirements, show them you are committed to learning and gaining the missing skills.

3. Most companies look for loyal, long-term employees they can count on

One of the key qualities that companies look for is to hire employees that plan to be staying in the company for the long term, not only for a few months. If you are a reliable person, that wishes to grow within the company and form your career there, you need to show this to your interviewer.

4. Your attitude matters

Try to maintain a calm and positive attitude during the interview. Avoid showing toxic traits, such as anger, short temper or negative attitude. 

5. Bring a copy of your resume

It can be helpful to have a copy of your resume during an interview. In some cases, the interviewer might have misplaced his or her copy and it makes things so much easier if you can provide the one you already have with yourself.

6. The way you talk about yourself matters
    When the interviewer asks you to tell them more about yourself, that is your opportunity to show them who you really are. Your personal history might not be relevant for the interviewer, however, your qualities, determination and other "selling points" matter. This is your chance to show them why you are the right fit for the position you have applied for. 

7. Body language matters

Aside from dressing appropriately for the interview, you should have a relaxed posture. Keep your head up, make eye contact and make a firm hand shake.

8. Don't get demotivated

Even if you did not get the job, this shouldn't stop you from applying to more jobs and go to more interviews. Sometimes, it is just a game of numbers: the more jobs you apply to, the higher your chances of getting the job that you want. 

What is your "To Do List" before going to an interview?

• 82 posts
    June 13, 2022 7:59 AM PDT

I used to practice my presentation in front of a mirror, like my mother suggested me to. It helped.

• 40 posts
    June 14, 2022 4:12 AM PDT

Not really a point on a list but I panic. Hard. Then, I turn my panic into hyperactivity and read as much as I can about anything regarding that job. Then I forget everything. Then I get tired. Then, for some reason, I am calm right before the interview begins. After all, I cannot force anyone to hrie me. They either want me, or they don't. I can only do my best.

• 47 posts
    June 27, 2022 3:52 AM PDT

Your attitude is more important than you think! I have a classmate who is very talented but has an arrogant attitude. This is not helping him get into any job that he wants. We once went for the same job (it was a temporary 3 months Internship) and he is more talented than I am, he has a better portfolio too. They did not take him because of his attitude...they took me because my attitude was friendly. I tried talking to him afterwards and tell him that his attitude needs to improve...he wouldn't listen to me. He was so upset.