Forums » Stock Footage

Stock Footage Websites For Paid Content (Part 1)

• 397 posts
    July 22, 2022 8:43 AM PDT

In the past years, you have probably heard that some photographers and video makers have managed to create a source of passive income. Stock footage websites are popular these days because it provides a free or affordable alternative to getting the content you need for your project. If you have a professional video camera or a photo camera, here are a few websites that you might want to upload your content to:

1. Shutterstock

Shutterstock is one of the most popular websites for earning passive income from uploading stock footage. The website accepts high-quality images, videos and vectors that meet their required specs. If you are photographing people, you will need a Model Release in order to sell those images. After you upload your content, it will have to go through an approval phase. Once approved, you are eligible to start earning money from Shutterstock.

2. Alamy

On Alamy, you can sell your photos, vectors, illustrations, 360 images and videos. You will also need to fill in model or property releases forms for your stock images. Once you have uploaded your content to Alamy, it will need to pass Quality Control (QC) before appearing on the website. In order to pass the QC, your image needs to be of high quality. You can also upload “Live News” photos, which are photos that were captured within 24 hours of the event.

Have you tried any of these websites yet? What other websites have you tried selling your stock content on?

This post was edited by Maura Nicolaita at July 22, 2022 8:43 AM PDT
    • 38 posts
    July 25, 2022 12:04 AM PDT

I heard of Alamy before because one of my friends from Uni has an account there. It is difficult to earn money from stock footage these days however, that account helps my friend create more content because now he has the motivation to do so. Money isn't everything when you have passion for what you do.

• July 25, 2022 12:15 AM PDT

I wonder if they also accept paintings there. I could scan them using Adobe Scan and upload them.

• 397 posts
    July 25, 2022 12:16 AM PDT
    Georgiana Raducan said:

I wonder if they also accept paintings there. I could scan them using Adobe Scan and upload them.

You never know until you try! Good luck!

• 82 posts
    July 28, 2022 12:46 AM PDT
    Georgiana Raducan said:

You could take really high quality photos of your paintings and upload them to Shutterstock or Alamy. Some users might just love them! You can also get creative and use a vintage frame, put them on a wall and snap a picture of them there. 

• 56 posts
    July 28, 2022 12:49 AM PDT
    Georgiana Raducan said:

I took the liberty to look up some uploads of paintings on Pexels. I found popular posts of artists during their creative process. Here is an example:

You could even make a short b-roll of about one minute of how you make a painting. You will have to ask someone to film you or use a tripod and do it yourself. You can then upload the result to Shutterstock or Alamy and maybe you get a nice profit out of it, who knows. 

This post was edited by Fjolla Teuta at July 28, 2022 12:51 AM PDT
  • July 28, 2022 12:52 AM PDT
    Fjolla Teuta said:
    Georgiana Raducan said:

I took the liberty to look up some uploads of paintings on Pexels. I found popular posts of artists during their creative process. Here is an example:

You could even make a short b-roll of about one minute of how you make a painting. You will have to ask someone to film you or use a tripod and do it yourself. You can then upload the result to Shutterstock or Alamy and maybe you get a nice profit out of it, who knows. 

Wow...this is such a cool idea! I never thought of it! Thank you so much for your suggestion!!

• July 28, 2022 12:52 AM PDT
    Anong Lawan said:
    Georgiana Raducan said:

You could take really high quality photos of your paintings and upload them to Shutterstock or Alamy. Some users might just love them! You can also get creative and use a vintage frame, put them on a wall and snap a picture of them there. 

I could try, after all, I am painting them anyway! :)

• 397 posts
    July 28, 2022 12:55 AM PDT
    Fjolla Teuta said:
    Georgiana Raducan said:

That's a great idea!