Forums » General Forum

How do I find filmmakers in my area?

• 19 posts
    August 8, 2022 7:15 AM PDT

Good day student filmmakers from all over the world!

I am a novice in this industry and I wish to make my first short film. I do not own any professional gear (I have a smartphone) and I do not have any experience. However, I wish to learn as much as I can and follow my passion for filmmaking! It would be very helpful if I could find other filmmakers. I could volunteer and help and I wish to make new friends with the same interests. How should I proceed? Is there a thing such as a filmmaking club? Or a method that I can use to find other filmmakers in my area?

• 397 posts
    August 9, 2022 2:10 AM PDT

You can also use the "Member Search" option on our website and maybe you can find people from your area. Just go to MEMBERS (from the top menu) and on the right panel, write down your city in the "City" box and press "Search". Let me know if you need any help with this! :) 

• 82 posts
    August 9, 2022 7:41 AM PDT

I joined this website and I met many film makers even though they were not from my area. I must admit, that it never occured to me to use the "member search". Thanks for the tip, Maura! I also met new filmmakers through Facebook groups and Discord servers.

• 56 posts
    August 10, 2022 4:57 AM PDT

They are probably trying to promote their work somehow. Try by searching them by using hashtags on social media.

• 47 posts
    August 11, 2022 9:30 PM PDT

I cannot provide an answer that works for everyone however I can say what works for me. I went to Uni for this purpose, to meet new filmmakers and work with them on projects. I have met filmmakers on the same level as me and I have met teachers that are willing to provide some guidance if you are willing to ask for it and put in the extra work. Going to Uni is not for everyone because it is expensive, it requires time and if you do not have the Uni in your hometown, you will have to move out and it will be difficult because you have to adapt to a new city, pay rent, work in between if your family cannot support you (or student loan, which does not cover everything).