Forums » Cinematography

What makes a good cinematographer?

• 57 posts
    August 9, 2022 2:07 AM PDT

Even though I mostly work as a photographer, in the past years, a growing percentage of my work is creating wedding short films with my customers. I am trying to capture their special day and use those little moments to tell a beautiful and emotional love story. Of course, it is a major difference between capturing the moment in photos and making an actual short film. The process is completely different and so is the technicality.On the other hand, I can use my creativity in different ways and I love it so much that I'd love to make short films with professional actors, which are not related to weddings.

And this makes me question myself: what makes a good cinematographer? Is it having the latest gear? Great communication skills? Or visualizing the scene in a creative way?

• 397 posts
    August 9, 2022 7:22 AM PDT

The cinematographer (also known as the director of photography – DP or DoP on short) is the one who turns the vision of a movie into reality. This person needs to take care of the camera, he needs to work together with the Gaffer in regards of lights and with the rest of the crew. If you do not have a big technical crew and you are a bit of a one man show, I believe what can make you a great cinematographer is your vision and technical knowledge. You need to get creative and work with what you have. Make the most of what you have

• 82 posts
    August 9, 2022 8:00 AM PDT

A good cinematographer knows how to talk to the crew and motivate them to care and give their best. Communication skills are very important!

• 56 posts
    August 10, 2022 4:55 AM PDT

The ability to adapt to everything that life throws in your way. You need to adapt to people, gear, weather and script. It's really hard.