Forums » Immersive Storytelling VR/AR & AI Tools

What is VR? Can you give an example?

• 19 posts
    August 23, 2022 11:21 PM PDT

I am new here and there are still many things that I wish to understand. I was reading a few posts around here about VR but I don't think I understand what it is. Can someone please explain to me what is VR and give an example?

• 47 posts
    August 23, 2022 11:54 PM PDT

Good day, Colton!

The definition of VR is "the computer-generated simulation of a three-dimensional image or environment that can be interacted with in a seemingly real or physical way by a person using special electronic equipment, such as a helmet with a screen inside or gloves fitted with sensors" (Oxford Languages). This technology can be used for entertainment purpose and for more serious purpose such as medicine or education.

On short, the Virtual Reality (VR) environment allows the user to enter a simulation and have an immersive experience.
    For example, you can use the VR to watch an immersive movie and feel as if you are a part of the movie.

• 82 posts
    August 24, 2022 12:02 AM PDT

It's a headset with built in glasses that you put on your head. Then it starts and you can watch videos or play games or do something else. You also get two controllers and you can move around. When you move around, so will your online character. It's very cool actually, you should try it if you ever have the chance.

• 43 posts
    August 25, 2022 10:54 PM PDT

VR stands for "Virtual Reality" and it is a technology that can be used to enter a virtual simulation or view movies in 360 degrees.