Forums » Immersive Storytelling VR/AR & AI Tools

How much does VR cost?

• 19 posts
    August 25, 2022 12:33 AM PDT

I have read a few posts from the forums about VR and I wish to try it and see how I could use it to make films. I have very little knowledge about this. Can someone please ell me how much does VR cost? 

I need to know how much the gear costs to view the movies in virtual reality. I also need to know how much would it cost me to make movies in virtual reality. This seems like a very good opportunity for me but I have no idea what are the costs. Can I use my smartphone? I have an iPhone 13 Pro. I don't have a big budget right now. Thank you all!

• 47 posts
    August 25, 2022 10:36 PM PDT

If you are interested in purchasing a VR for more than just to view movies or if you wish to view them in higher quality, the cheapest VR headset you can get is the Oculus Quest 2 which was developed by Facebook and costs $400.
    If you wish to use your phone to view VR movies, you can use cheaper alternatives even though the quality will be poor and I do not recommend it. However, this is more affordable for everyone as you can use the smartphone that you already own. Not all smartphones are compatible with this though. You will need a VR app, depending what you are using, iOS or Android so your phone needs to be able to support it. Also, your phone battery will drop very fast and your phone will overheat while you will use it. The price of such a alternative is about $30. 

To make a VR video, you first need to make a 360° video. I have searched for a video online that best explains this:

From what I have read, even thought I did not have the chance to try, you can make a VR movie by using your phone. You will need to purchase a few accessories though. You can use Insta360 or Shot.You will have to attach the device to your iPhone and you will also need t o install an app.

You can also upload your VR videos on YouTube and you can share them with your public. 

• 82 posts
    August 25, 2022 10:52 PM PDT

$30 is actually not that much but I wonder how many people understand that you literally pay for the quality and this version is nothing compared to the Headset one.

• 43 posts
    August 25, 2022 10:53 PM PDT
    Anong Lawan said:

$30 is actually not that much but I wonder how many people understand that you literally pay for the quality and this version is nothing compared to the Headset one.

Sadly, most people don't understand this. They get the cheap  version and then they complain they don't geet the FULL HD / 4K out of it